It was in the spring of 2015 that the doctors determined I needed a partial knee replacement after a couple failed knee scopes. On May 26th, 2015 I went to the hospital early that morning not knowing getting on the elevator would be my last memory for a while. My wife told me that after surgery I walked the hallway, ate a hamburger, texted my brother among other things. The doctor told me and my wife the only way I would live is to be put on a ventilator. Even though I don’t remember my wife said I looked at her and said “Sis (wife) what should I do?” I was told I signed the form with my wife not knowing that I would never remember what I had done. I was put on a ventilator and rushed from Good Sam Hospital to the University of Kentucky Hospital. The doctors believed I had an allergic reaction to the anesthesia that caused my lungs to bleed and from there I went septic. I went into septic shock where it started shutting down my organs including kidneys and lungs. My right lung collapsed and needed a chest tube and introduced me to ARDS. Due to bleeding lungs the doctors inserted a IVC filter to prevent blood clots going to my heart and lungs. The doctors determined that a tracheostomy would be needed and probably was a turning point for my recovery. When I started waking up some 20 days later, I had lost all muscle mass and could not move or talk. I stayed in ICU until June 30, 2015 with so many memories that I never want to forget good and bad.

After becoming stable enough, I was transferred to 2 other rehabilitation hospitals for trach removal and overall strength. Years later I still have lingering problems from this traumatic experience such as PTSD, Anxiety, Muscle Weakness, Neuropathy, and mental issues. I also have a scarred lung from the ARDS along with other issues in breathing. I couldn’t have made this journey without my family and especially my wife along with the doctors (especially Dr. Ashley Montgomery) and staff at the University of Kentucky.

​EZ Caregiver was designed to help with communication between the patient, caregiver, nurse, or doctor when the patient was not able to speak. However I didn’t expect what was about to happen over the next several years. Through my journey since the summer of 2015 I have gone on to receive several awards and give inspirational speeches all over the country. I wouldn’t trade my journey since 2015 for anything as I have been blessed and made so many new friends along the way. Only God had this journey already planned for me since birth.

​ I don’t have all the answers as each ones journey is different. Embrace your journey and encou others along the way and you will impact others.